cellcard cellcard

Man tried over brutal murder of uncle

Buth Reaksmey Kongkea / Khmer Times Share:
The accused, who dismembered his uncle, at court on Friday. Rasmei News

A serial drug convict went on trial on Friday at the municipal court over the gruesome murder of his uncle, whom he allegedly stabbed before slashing his throat, carving out his eyes and dismembering him.

Hay Samnang, 25, who has served multiple jail terms on drug convictions, stands accused of killing his uncle Seth Nak, 34, on August 28 in Chbar Ampov II commune.

Presiding Judge Meng Tony said on Friday at Phnom Penh Municipal Court that Mr Samnang, a Cambodian-Vietnamese citizen, was charged with intentional murder with aggravating circumstances and faces at least 15 years in jail if convicted.

Judge Tony said Mr Samnang and the victim lived in the same rental house together and that on the night of August 28, the accused and victim were drinking beers together.

While drinking, the pair got into an argument, he said.

The accused, who was drunk, got angry at the victim for passing stool into a pot used for cooking rice at the home, the judge said.

The accused then took a sharp knife and stabbed the victim’s stomach.

“He was angry at the victim for passing stool in the rice pot in the house,” Judge Tony said. “He then took a sharp knife and stabbed the victim’s stomach many times, as well as his chest, causing him to get very seriously wounded and lose consciousness.”

“After stabbing the victim, the accused slashed his throat, carved out both his eyes and cut off his penis, leaving him to die in a bloody pool,” the judge added.

Judge Tony said that after killing the victim, the accused did not flee the house. Instead, he just hid in the house, where police later found and arrested him, seizing the knife as evidence.

During the trial, the accused admitted to the brutal killing.

“The reason why I killed him was because I was angry at him for passing stool in the pot used for cooking rice,” he told the court. “He also always made his wife badly blame me and always be upset with me.”

According to police and court documents, the accused has already been jailed three times, on drug and assault convictions.

The documents show that the accused had just been released from prison two months prior to the murder.

In 2000, he was convicted by the municipal court and sentenced to two years and six months in jail for drug use and trafficking.

In 2009, he was convicted by the municipal court and sentenced to another two years in prison for intentional acts of violence over a sword attack on another man. In 2013, he was again convicted of assault and sentenced to two years.

After the murder, Phnom Penh military police officer Ly Socheath said that the accused had just been released from jail again in June after a two-year jail term on drug charges.

A verdict over the murder is due April 9.

Previous Article

PM touts free bus tickets for New Year

Next Article

Family killer in court over murders