A two-year-old boy died and five members of his family were seriously injured after they were stung by hornets in Kampong Chhnang province.
Sos Ash Mat, chief of Svay Bakav village, said his great grandchild Yan Arisin died at Kantha Bopha hospital in Phnom Penh.
Those injured were his wife Sos Nob, 69, and grandchildren Nosa Lihas, 11, Sos Mosin, 10, Mat Manhsa, 6, and Ly Sasny, 9.
The condition of Lihas and Mosin had improved but his wife was still in the emergency room at Calmette hospital.
She was stung by about 30 hornets on her head, waist and other parts of her body.
Mr Ash Mat said the children were playing outdoors when palm fruit fell on a nearby hornets nest, disturbing the insects and causing them to attack.
Ms Nob tried to rescue Arisin and was stung many times.
Te Vanna, a doctor at Kampong Tralach hospital, said the condition of the patients was bad when they arrived at his hospital. Arisin was the most sick, so was first sent to Kantha Bopha hospital.
The other children were sent there later.
Dr Vanna said Ms Nob spoke of hundreds of hornets stinging her and the children.
“We do not know how much venom was in their bodies, but the hornets made black marks where they stung, like someone being pinched,” he said.