NIGERIA (AFP) – Boko Haram jihadists have released 101 of the 110 schoolgirls who were abducted from the northeastern town of Dapchi in February, the government confirmed yesterday.
The schoolgirls were returned to Dapchi by Boko Haram yesterday morning following negotiations between the Nigerian government and the militant group.
Information Minister Lai Mohammed said the girls were released “unconditionally”. “No money changed hands,” he told reporters in the capital, Abuja.
Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari said last week the government had “chosen negotiation” to secure the return of the Dapchi girls rather than use military force.
The Dapchi kidnapping on February 19 conjured painful memories of a similar abduction in Chibok in April 2014, when more than 200 girls were taken.
Boko Haram, which has killed at least 20,000 people, uses kidnapping as a means to fund their operations in Nigeria and the remote Lake Chad region.