Duterte withdrawing PH from ICC

Reuters / No Comments Share:
Women protest against President Rodrigo Duterte’s plan to set up a Revolutionary Government, in Manila, Philippines last year. Reuters

MANILA (Reuters) – The Philippines said yesterday it is withdrawing from the International Criminal Court (ICC) due to what President Rodrigo Duterte called “outrageous” attacks by UN officials and violations of due process by the ICC.

The decision marks an about-face by Mr Duterte, who initially welcomed a preliminary ICC examination announced last month into a complaint, filed by a Philippine lawyer, that accuses him and top officials of crimes against humanity, committed during a war on drugs that has killed thousands of people.

A 15-page statement, dated March 13 and not signed by Mr Duterte, said the withdrawal from the ICC’s founding treaty, the Rome Statute, was “effective immediately”.

That was confirmed separately by Mr Duterte’s spokesman and his legal counsel, who both said the ICC’s examination was part of a plot by the president’s enemies.

Mr Duterte’s statement said the withdrawal was because of “baseless, unprecedented and outrageous attacks” by UN officials, and what he said was an attempt by the ICC prosecutor to seek jurisdiction over him “in violation of due process and presumption of innocence”.

Mr Duterte’s war on drugs has caused international alarm and fierce criticism from some UN rapporteurs and officials, including UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein, who on Friday said Mr Duterte should submit himself for a psychiatric examination.

The former mayor has sparred relentlessly with critics and refused to change his approach on his war on drugs.

Police deny allegations of murder and cover-ups and say they killed about 4,100 drug dealers in shootouts. Police say they have no ties to armed men responsible for the deaths of about 2,300 drug users and peddlers.

Mr Duterte, who is hugely popular among Filipinos, has no love for the ICC, calling it “useless” and “hypocritical”.

He at first dared the ICC to indict him, saying he was willing to rot in jail for his people.

He then said he would prefer a firing squad to prison.He has recently changed his tune, telling security forces not to cooperate should there be any international investigation. He last week said the ICC would “not in a million years” have jurisdiction.

The ICC’s preliminary examination into the complaint seeks to establish whether crimes have taken place. Such a process typically takes years.

Share and Like this post

Related Posts

Previous Article

South Korea’s ex-president admits taking money from NIS

Next Article

Defence lawyer slams Malaysian police over Kim murder probe