Road rage shooting suspect held by military police

Pav Suy / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
The military officer who turned himself in after shooting a couple over a car crash. Fresh News

A military officer who shot a couple in an apparent road rage incident last week turned himself in on Saturday, according to authorities.

A man and his girlfriend were hospitalised at Calmette Hospital last week after being shot at by the driver of a car they almost had an accident with while on the way home from dinner in Phnom Penh. The suspect had rolled down his window and fired multiple gunshots at them after the near collsion.

Eng Sorphea, municipal penal police chief, confirmed that Bun Teng, 32, came to confess at municipal military police headquarters on Saturday because he was an officer in the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces.

“He came to confess at Phnom Penh military police headquarters yesterday and is being questioned there. The reason he chose to appear there is because he is a military officer,” he said.

Mr Sorphea declined to comment which unit Mr Teng worked for and referred further questions to the municipal military police.

Municipal military police commander Rath Sreang said the suspect was being questioned and his officers were preparing to send the case to court.

“After questioning, we will send him to court,” he said. “We will reveal the story in more detail tomorrow, so please wait.”

Mr Sreang declined to verify if the suspect was a military officer, saying the case was still under investigation.

According to a municipal military police report, the suspect came to confess after the military police used its tactics to lure him there.

It said in the early hours of February 26, the gunman drove a Range Rover SUV and shot multiple rounds at the victim’s Toyota pickup.

Kong Ravin, 30, was shot three times and his girlfriend Soeung Vin, 25, was shot twice.

A doctor at Calmette Hospital said they were recovering and their injuries were not life-threatening.

A municipal military police officer named Han said the suspect was due to be sent to Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday evening and referred further questions to National Military Police spokesman Eng Hy.

Mr Hy declined to comment as he was not in charge of the case, which was still in the hands of the municipal military police.

Share and Like this post

Related Posts

Previous Article

Lao man caught with 30 kilos of meth

Next Article

Authority confiscate crocodile skins import from Vietnam