MANILA (AFP) – More than 100 drug suspects have been killed since Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the police to rejoin his “war on drugs”.
Mr Duterte was elected in 2016 on a promise to eradicate drugs, and launched unprecedented campaign that killed more than 12,000 people.
Chief Superintendent John Bulalacao confirmed that 102 drug suspects were killed by police between December 5 and March 1.
In October last year, the president announced that the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency would replace the police in counter-narcotics operations following mounting public opposition and street protests.
Mr Duterte eventually ordered the police back into the campaign without any major reform of the force.
Early last month, the prosecutor at the International Criminal Court said she had opened a preliminary examination into the alleged abuses.
The Philippine government has said it is willing to let a “credible and unbiased” UN Special Rapporteur into the country to look into accusations.