More than 100 fireworks exploded in Prey Veng province’s Kampong Trabek district on Sunday evening, but no one was injured.
Soun Samoeun, Kampong Trabek district police chief, said yesterday that the owner of the fireworks kept them in a room that overheated and may have led to the explosion.
“Luckily the explosion of the fireworks did not injure anyone, but it destroyed some houses nearby the room,” he said.
Mr Samoeun said villagers and authorities took action by putting out the fire on time.
“I already informed provincial police and we will take action against the owner who produced the fireworks,” he added. “We cannot allow them to keep fireworks like this anymore.”
Mr Samoeun added that this was the second time fireworks had exploded on their own in his district.
He noted that his police officers have in the past explained the dangers to villagers and vendors, but the practice continues as people try to earn an income.
“I will seek another solution for them, we cannot allow them to do this anymore,” Mr Samoeun said.
Earlier this month, a 50-year-old man was killed and a 29-year-old woman seriously injured by a firework explosion in Kampong Cham province’s Prey Chhour district. The victims were producing fireworks to sell for Chinese New Year.