ana-air canadia-bank Silk-air nissan acleda cab-bank

Shoe thrower detained following extradition

Khy Sovuthy / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
The shoe thrower, Sam Sokha. Supplied

Kampong Speu Provincial Court on Saturday decided to detain a woman who threw her shoe at a CPP billboard last year following her extradition from Thailand on Thursday.

Provincial police chief Sam Samoun said yesterday that he received Sam Sokha from the Interior Ministry on Saturday morning and sent her to the provincial court the same day.

“The provincial court decided to detain her on Saturday and our police officials sent her to the provincial prison for detention under the court’s order,” he said, declining further comment.

Provincial court presiding judge Ouk Retkunthea declined to comment, referring questions to the provincial court spokesman. “Please forgive me, I cannot answer anything,” the judge said.

Provincial court spokesman Sorn Virak said: “Please wait until Monday because Sunday is a holiday.”

Ms Sokha is accused of inciting discrimination against and insulting Prime Minister Hun Sen and National Assembly president Heng Samrin.

According to a provincial court document signed by judge Retkunthea on January 25 and posted by Fresh News on Thursday, Ms Sokha was convicted in absentia and sentenced to two years in prison and fined about $1,250 for insulting a public official and for incitement to discriminate.

Kampong Speu Provincial Court “orders public authorities to seek her arrest and bring her to be detained in the prison or detainment centre complying with the court’s verdict on January 25, 2018”, the document said.

Ms Sokha was accused of the crimes after a video of her throwing a shoe at a CPP sign in Preah Sihanouk province in early April surfaced online.

The 13-second video posted on social media shows her throwing a shoe at the sign of Mr Samrin and Mr Hun Sen while chanting “they came here to destroy the nation”.

Ms Sokha was ordered to attend court for questioning on June 8 and failed to appear.

Lieutenant General Chhay Sinarith, deputy national police chief, said yesterday that Ms Sokha had already been sentenced to two years in prison by Kampong Speu Provincial Court and authorities were just following the court’s order.

“Our police officials implemented based on the court’s order,” he said, declining to comment further about Ms Sokha’s extradition.

Related Posts

Previous Article

Call for action against domestic violence

Next Article

Fireworks seized in Siem Reap