N Korea holds military parade

AFP / No Comments Share:
A screen grab taken from North Korea’s KCTV shows members of North Korea’s military taking part in a parade in Kim Il Sung Square in Pyongyang yesterday. KCTV/AFP

SEOUL (AFP) – North Korea staged a military parade in Pyongyang yesterday to mark the 70th anniversary of its armed forces, putting its intercontinental ballistic missiles on show just a day before the Winter Olympics open in South Korea.

The nuclear-armed North is on an Olympics-linked charm offensive – sending a troupe of performers, hundreds of female cheerleaders, and the sister of leader Kim Jong-un to South Korea.

But regiments of soldiers goose-stepped in formation through Kim Il Sung Square yesterday, followed by trucks, artillery, tanks and finally four giant Hwasong-15 ICBMs – as well as a band forming the Korean word for “Victory”.

Unlike the North’s last parade in April 2017 state television did not show the event live, instead airing it hours later.

Fireworks went off as leader Kim Jong-un took his place on the rostrum to watch the display, along with his wife Ri Sol-ju and the ceremonial head of state Kim Yong-nam – who is heading Pyongyang’s delegation to the Olympics today.

“We … have become capable of showcasing our stature as a world-class military power to the world,” said Mr Kim, wearing a long black coat and black fedora.

The military should remain on high alert to ensure that invaders could not violate the North’s sovereignty “even by 0.001mm”, he said.“Long live!” cried the assembled troops, some of them in tears at the sight of the leader.

Analysts say that with the dual approach, the North is looking to normalise its status as a “de facto nuclear state”, and could be trying to weaken sanctions against it or drive a wedge between the South and its ally the US.

North Korea is under multiple sets of UN Security Council sanctions over its banned nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programmes, which have seen it develop rockets capable of reaching the US mainland.

Pyongyang last month announced it was changing the date of its military commemoration from April 25 to February 8 – the day before the Games’ opening ceremony in Pyeongchang, just 80 kilometres south of the Demilitarized Zone.

North Korea normally invites hundreds of foreign journalists to show off the spectacle to the world but did not do so this time, possibly an indication that it wanted to control how the display is seen – which would be in keeping with the absence of live coverage.

“It looks like North Korea had potential reaction from the international community in mind and toned down the scale and message of the event a lot,” said Lim Eul-Chul, a North Korean studies professor at Kyungnam University.

The North’s high-level delegation for the Olympics is being led by its ceremonial head of state Kim Yong-nam, the highest-level official ever to visit the South, and also includes Kim Jong-un’s sister Kim Yo-jong – an increasingly powerful and influential figure.

They are due in the South today and Seoul’s presidential Blue House said they will have lunch with President Moon Jae-in tomorrow.

US Vice President Mike Pence arrived in the South yesterday and is also scheduled to attend the opening ceremony in Pyeongchang.

That could put him in the same room as Kim Yong-nam, raising the prospect of senior figures from the two sides meeting after a year in which their leaders traded personal insults and threats of war.

Senior Pyongyang foreign ministry official Cho Yong Sam said the North had “no intention” of meeting US authorities during the trip. But his comments did not rule out a meeting – and nor has Mr Pence.

Share and Like this post

Related Posts

Previous Article

Four elephants killed by train

Next Article

‘No mystery’ over MH370 ship