The investigation chief of the Interior Ministry’s immigration department has said a 49-year-old Malaysian man arrested on Monday is being detained awaiting deportation to his country.
Lieutenant General Uk Heisela yesterday identified the suspect as Edmund Melville Felix.
He said Mr Felix was arrested after he caused a disturbance at the Malaysian embassy in Phnom Penh and was found to have no passport or legal documents to stay in Cambodia.
“He did not have a passport or money to buy a ticket to travel back to his country,” Lt Gen Heisela said. “He is still being detained at our immigration department.”
He added that Mr Felix would be deported once the Malaysian embassy had arranged flights home on his behalf.
A Malaysian embassy statement Wednesday said officials were cooperative with all Malaysians and foreign nationals who used their services. Mr Felix earlier accused embassy staff of failing to help him.
The embassy statement said officials made a point of serving the public equally regardless of the situation they were in.
It also said that in the case of Mr Felix, police had to be called because his behaviour was unruly and posed a threat to the safety of the embassy and staff.
“We have been dealing with him since last week and are fully aware of his predicament,” the statement said. “Due diligence has been taken.”
“Mr Felix also had a brush with the local authorities last year and the embassy already assisted in the process of sending him back to Malaysia. He is what you might say, a familiar figure to us,” the statement added.