The National Election Committee has released the official voter list for July’s general election, containing nearly 85 percent of eligible voters.
The voter list contains 8,380,217 names out of 9,882,746 eligible voters, or 84.8 percent of those aged 18 and over.
There will be 22,967 polling stations nationwide for the July 29 poll.
Hel Sarath, one of nine NEC members, said during the meeting that election registration had been carried out smoothly from September 1 to November 30.
He said 536,674 new voters were registered and 21,671 voters were deleted from the voter list because of duplicated names, deaths and address changes.
Korn Savang, coordination observer for election watchdog Comfrel, said he congratulated NEC officials for their efforts registering voters at the grassroots level.
However, he expressed disappointed more than two million migrant workers abroad were unable to register for the election.
“We recommend the NEC consider migrant workers abroad,” Mr Savang said. “However, the voter list is better than 2013.”
NEC secretary-general Tep Nytha said after the meeting that he encouraged registered voters to turn out for the election as they had for the commune poll, which had a turnout of about 90 percent.
“We want to have a lot of people voting in the 2018 election,” he said.
Mr Nytha added the NEC would receive applications for candidacy in the election up until April 30.
He said Japan had provided $7 million in aid last year and would be providing ballot boxes worth an additional $5 million.
Mr Nytha added that China had provided vehicles worth about $12 million at the end of 2016 and would be donating ballot boxes and walkie-talkies ahead of the election.
“We are planning to request Chinese aid to build offices for the capital and provincial election committees,” he said.
Last year, the US and EU pulled funding for Cambodia’s 2018 general election, saying the vote could not be credible after the dissolution of the opposition CNRP.
Mr Nytha said the government has the budget to organise the election despite some foreign countries having suspended aid to the NEC.
“We have enough money from the state budget to clearly plan and organise the election,” he said.