cellcard cellcard cellcard

Second summons for former union leader

Pech Sotheary / Khmer Times Share:
Chea Mony was abroad on Monday. KT/Chor Sokunthea

Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Tuesday issued a second warrant summoning former Free Trade Union president Chea Mony to appear in court in early February, for allegedly inciting foreign countries to impose sanctions on Cambodia.

The second summons came after Mr Mony failed to appear in court on Monday.

According to the warrant issued by court prosecutor Sieng Sok on Tuesday, Mr Mony must appear on the morning of February 9 to answer legal complaints lodged by Union Federation lawyers Dara Sopanha and Keth Sovandy.

In late 2017, Mr Sopanha and Mr Sovandy, who represent the interests of about 120 federations and unions, filed a lawsuit against Mr Mony, accusing him of inciting the EU and the US to put economic sanctions on Cambodia in statements he made during an interview with a foreign radio station.

The unions asked the court to prosecute Mr Mony and are seeking $1 million in compensation.

The complaint, dated December 18, came after an interview given by Mr Mony to Radio Free Asia, in which he appealed to the EU and the US to put economic sanctions on the government following its dissolution of the opposition CNRP and crackdown on the press.

The unions said Mr Mony’s statement was incitement for buyers to stop purchasing clothes from Cambodia, which would harm workers’ incomes.

Mr Mony did not attend his first scheduled court hearing on Monday, which coincided with the anniversary of his brother’s Chea Vichea’s assassination.

Mr Mony could not be reached for comment.

Unionists, workers and civil society organisations on Monday asked authorities to find the murderers of prominent union leader Mr Vichea.

Mr Vichea had just bought his morning newspapers on January 22, 2004, when an unmasked man walked up and fired two shots at the popular union leader, killing him instantly.

Previous Article

NEC releases official voter list

Next Article

Sihanoukville tourist boat firms face closure in legal crackdown