One fisherman is dead and nine others are being treated in hospital after eating poisonous blowfish on Monday evening in Koh Kong province’s Kiri Sakor district.
Sok Cheng, chief of Koh Sdach commune chief, said the deceased fisherman was sent for treatment at a hospital in Sihanoukville, but died on the way.
He was named as Pich Vibol, 30.
The other nine fishermen are being treated at Koh Kong hospital. Their conditions were thought to be improving.
Earlier reports indicated that only eight men had fallen ill.
“The other victims said that the fisherman who died ate a lot of the poisonous fish, whereas the rest of them only ate a little,” Mr Cheng said.
He added that Mr Vibol’s condition deteriorated quickly on Monday night.
“He was in a serious condition so the doctor in Koh Kong decided to send him to Sihanoukville for treatment, but he died on the way to hospital,” he said.
Acting district police chief Hum Sarouen said all the victims were fisherman. One of them had caught the blowfish, after which they gathered to eat at the port together.
“They cooked the blowfish and ate it together at the port after they came back from sea. They started to vomit immediately and were sent to hospital,” he said.
Meng Yuy, Dong Peng commune chief, said local people have been warned about eating poisonous fish. “We instructed residents not to eat blowfish, because it is poisonous,” he said.
In June 2017, one person died and two got sick from blowfish poison in Kratie province after eating the fish at a party.