Borei Keila residents have continued to reject compensation in exchange for leaving their land, claiming the latest offer was inadequate.
Two of the remaining 11 families met with the 7 Makara district governor in Phnom Penh yesterday to discuss compensation.
Borei Keila resident Ngov Nary said the authorities increased their compensation offer to $15,000 for the two families, which they decided to reject.
“We cannot accept this compensation.
“We want suitable compensation that will allow us to find a new home in the city, so we will continue our protest and will gather in front of Suy Sophan’s house soon,” she said. In 2003, Ms Sophan’s Phan Imex development company was granted the right by the government to develop the Borei Keila community.
She promised to build 10 buildings for 1,776 families, but her company only built eight and later forced residents to move to live in Kandal province’s Ponhea Lueu district.
However, some residents still live in old buildings or near Borei Keila’s garbage dump in protest at the decision.
Lim Sothea, 7 Makara district governor, declined to comment. Late last month, 34 civil society organisations and land communities in Phnom Penh and other provinces released a joint statement calling on City Hall to drop a deadline that had been imposed on Borei Keila residents to accept compensation. “We urge City Hall to drop the deadline issued on December 8, and proceed immediately to resolve conflicts through consultation with the affected people to seek agreement with satisfaction,” the statement read.