Spa owner faces death charge

Ros Chanveasna / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
The victim and friends were taking part in water fights in front of the spa. Supplied

THE owner of a spa in Siem Reap is facing manslaughter charges after a teenage girl was electrocuted when she touched a badly wired street sign belonging to the business.
 
Ly Monirothany, 14, died during Sunday night’s Khmer New Year celebrations in the city’s Pub Street.
 
Duong Sokha, chief of the provincial police serious crimes bureau, said shop owner Meas Sopheak, 36, was sent yesterday to the provincial court for questioning over allegations of negligence.
 
He said Ms. Monirothany was electrocuted when she touched a metal pole decorated with lights in front of the shop bearing the name Baray Spa.
 
Court spokesman Chan Makni said Ms. Sopheak had been sent for pre-trial detention on the charge of manslaughter following questioning.
If found guilty she could face between one and three years’ imprisonment.
 
A Facebook user called Moni Neath Ly who said she was the older sister of the victim, wrote that she, Ms. Monirothany and seven friends had been taking part in water fights in front of the spa shop until 11.40 pm.
 
She said her sister placed her hand on a small steel pole as their group was getting ready to go back to their hotel.
 
“I saw my sister getting an electric shock so I ran to help her and got a shock myself,” she wrote.
 
“Our friends pulled us out and carried my sister away to give her first aid. They brought her to the emergency room in Siem Reap provincial hospital.
 
“I called our older sister who was also visiting Siem Reap. She insisted on bringing her to the Royal Angkor Hospital but they couldn’t save her.”

Previous Article

Husband dies after attack on wife

Next Article

Manet’s case dismissed by US court

You may also like