Six hurt in factory blast

Pech Sotheary / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
The electronics factory where the gas explosion injured six workers. Supplied

Six workers including an Indian man were injured yesterday when a gas-fueled steamer exploded at a factory manufacturing hard disks in Poipet town in Banteay Meanchey province.
 
Poipet police chief Oum Sophal said the blast at electronics factory SC WADO Component in Phsar Kandal village was caused by a gas leak.  
 
The incident took place at about 8.30pm. One female worker and five men were injured, including the Indian.
 
Mr. Sophal said: “The explosion was caused by a leak from the gas-fueled kiln. We are studying the evidence to assess whether it was due to negligence or if the equipment was old and worn out.”
 
He added that the explosion caused a fire, but authorities extinguished it quickly. The injured workers were sent to hospital for emergency treatment.
 
The National Social Security Fund said on Facebook four of the six victims were seriously injured and are receiving medical treatment through the fund.
 
Labor Ministry spokesman Cheav Bunrith said: “The NSSF is willing to help whenever these kinds of problems occur.”
 
At the beginning of the month, Labor Minister Ith Samheng instructed factory owners to improve safety standards around the use of gas-fueled boilers.
 
However, there have been two such explosions since then causing three fatalities. A worker was also killed in another case last month at a garment factory in Phnom Penh.
 
The Phnom Penh Department of Industry and Handicraft is now in the process of creating technical standards for operating industrial boilers that run steam irons, in a bid to prevent further incidents.

Previous Article

Manet’s case dismissed by US court

Next Article

Ministry slams ‘lying’ critics