Khmer Times/Pech Sotheary Thursday, 12 January 2017 1615 views

Clinic shuttered after death

The deputy prosecutor and authorities in Banteay Meanchey province decided to shut down a private clinic in Poipet City after it showed negligence in the treatment of a woman who was bitten by a snake.

Ma Sothea, 26, died on December 17 after being transferred for medical treatment to the Sen Soksan clinic in Poipet City’s Phsar Kandal commune.

Her family claimed her death was due to the negligence of doctors and they filed a complaint to authorities seeking justice for her.

Banteay Meanchey Provincial Court deputy prosecutor and spokesman Sok Keo Bandit, who led the forces to close the business, said the provincial court and Health Ministry decided to shut the Sen Soksan clinic on Tuesday afternoon.

“He [the clinic owner] is similar to a criminal. Authorities are investigating where he allegedly applied the wrong treatment resulting in a patient’s death,” he said.

The clinic’s owner, Chum Mongchheng, could not be reached for comment yesterday. His sister, who answered the phone, claimed to know nothing about the case.

Previously however, Mr. Mongchheng said Ms. Sothea had been bitten by a cobra with strong venom, which caused her serious symptoms, and doctors had tried to rescue her using appropriate techniques.

He added that she did not die in his clinic but when she was sent for emergency treatment at the referral hospital.

The victim’s brother, Ma Bros, confirmed she had been bitten by a cobra on her right fingertip and was taken by motorbike for medical treatment at the Sen Soksan clinic where doctors gave her an IV drip.

He said that after a second IV drip was given, his sister became nauseous, dizzy and had difficulty breathing, but the doctors kept saying everything was okay until she could no longer speak and her heart stopped beating.

The doctors then decided to send her to the referral hospital but she had died on arrival, Mr. Bros added. He said he considered the case negligence on the part of the doctors who let his sister die.

“When my sister was unwell, I asked the doctor to leave the clinic. But he said my sister had no problems and only after her symptoms got worse and her heart stopped beating, they sent her to the referral hospital,” he said.

“I was angry because my sister was injured a little bit but the doctors were careless and let her die.”

How do you feel about this story?
Love It!