Remnants of War Causalities Down

Khmer Times No Comments Share:

There were fewer casualties from explosive remnants of war (ERW) in Cambodia during the first six months of this year than in the same period last year, according to a Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority (CMAA) report released yesterday.
 
From January to June 2016, there were 49 mine/ERW casualties in the Kingdom, down 27 percent compared with the 67 casualties reported during the same period in 2015.
 
“There were 43 mine/ERW accidents from January to June, 2016, which decreased 14 percent compared with the 50 mine/ERW accidents reported in the same period last year,” the report said, adding that of the 43 mine/ERW accidents, 25 were caused by mines and 18 were caused by other ERW.
 
From 1979 to June this year, a total of 64,628 mine/ERW casualties have been recorded in Cambodia, according to the Cambodia Mine/ERW Victim Information System.
 
In June this year, seven mine/ERW accidents were recorded in Banteay Manchey, Battambang, Oddar Meanchey, Prey Veng and Kampot provinces, the CMAA report said.
 
In 2015, 76 mine/ERW accidents were recorded across the Kingdom. Among these accidents, 31 (41 percent) were caused by mines, while 45 (59 percent) were caused by ERW.
 
Men were the most vulnerable to mine/ERW accidents in 2015, with 68 percent of the accidents affecting them.
 
Meanwhile, 14 unexploded ordnances (UXO) were found outside Siem Reap town on Wednesday. A farmer reported the UXO, saying he had discovered them while plowing a field.

Previous Article

Huge Crowds For Funeral Procession

Next Article

Hunt is on for Coup Plotter