Lu Lay Sreng faces another Funcinpec lawsuit

Khuon Narim / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
Senior Funcinpec official Nhep Bunchin. KT/Mai Vireak

Funcinpec has filed another defamation lawsuit against former deputy prime minister Lu Lay Sreng, who fled the country before initial lawsuits were filed by the party, Prime Minister Hun Sen and the Justice Ministry.

The latest complaint claims that Mr Lay Sreng accused Prince Norodom Ranariddh of taking bribes from provincial governors.

Mr Lay Sreng fled last month before facing lawsuits lodged by Funcinpec, Mr Hun Sen and the Ministry of Justice over insulting the King and accusing Mr Hun Sen of promising Funcinpec offcials $20,000 each to take over the opposition CNRP’s lawmaker seats of the party’s dissolution.

Funcinpec vice president Nhep Bunchin said in a press conference yesterday that the party has filed a second lawsuit against Mr Lay Sreng, accusing him of defaming the prince by suggesting he took $100,000 bribes from provincial governors to gain their positions.

“I would like to verify that Prince Ranariddh has never taken a bribe,” Mr Bunchin said. “This is not true.”

On November 6, Mr Lay Sreng gave an interview to Radio Free Asia, in which he accused Prince Ranariddh of taking the bribes.

“Prime Minister Hun Sen gave the opportunity to Prince Ranariddh to collect money,” Mr Lay Sreng told RFA. “I was with Funcinpec at the beginning, when it had power, they took $100,000 from each provincial governor.”

Mr Bunchin added that Mr Lay Sreng is inciting Funcinpec supporters to lose their faith and support another political party.

Previous Article

CNRP leaders face loss of salary

Next Article

PM asks UN to protect peacekeepers