The Interior Ministry has told provincial officials to create task forces to monitor and prevent groups that may be aiming to topple the government following the likely dissolution of the opposition CNRP by the Supreme Court.
Interior Minister Sar Kheng said the task forces should crack down quickly if they attempt to topple the government, according to a letter he signed yesterday.
“The Ministry of Interior asks governors to create task forces to monitor and resolve issues related to groups using tricks to topple the legitmate government from November 15 and onwards,” Mr Kheng’s letter said.
The ministry last month filed a request wih the Supreme Court to have the CNRP dissolved following complaints lodged against it by Funcinpec and the Cambodian Youth Party.
It’s leader Kem Sokha remains jailed on treason charges following his arrest that came after video footage from Australia-based CBN news was posted on Facebook, appearing to show Mr Sokha saying the US government had been helping him to push for regime change in Cambodia since 1993.
According to Phnom Penh deputy municipal police chief Sim Vuthy, the CNRP plans to mobilise up to 200 activists to gather in the capital on Thursday when the court announces its verdict.
Kampong Thom province Governor Sok Lou said he would implement the orders.
“This is an additional letter from the ministry in order for us to pay more attention,” Mr Lou said.
Mr Lou said his authorities would not allow any CNRP activists to travel to Phnom Penh for the case.
“We will ask them if they are going to protest against the court, and if so, we won’t allow it,” he said.
Yesterday, the ministry submitted a further four pieces of evidence to disband the CNRP.
Lawyer Ky Tech said outside the court there were 26 pieces of evidence on which to dissolve the CNRP.
“Our lawyers are almost 100 percent sure we will win this case and that the court will dissolve the CNRP,” Mr Tech said.