Tribute to grenade victims blocked

Khuon Narim / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
The CNRP holds the ceremony every year. KT/Chor Sokunthea

Authorities yesterday blocked the CNRP from holding a ceremony to commemorate the victims of the deadly 1997 grenade attack, which left scores dead.

The attack on an opposition rally on March 30, 1997 killed 16 people. So far, no one has been arrested for the killing.

Yesterday, the CNRP attempted to hold a ceremony for the victims as part of Pchum Ben celebrations at the remembrance stupa built in commemoration of the victims near the Royal Palace.

But about 100 Daun Penh district security guards were deployed and blocked the opposition lawmakers from reaching the stupa, diverting them instead to a nearby pagoda.

CNRP vice-president Mu Sochau said she was disappointed that authorities had barred them from paying respect to the souls of protesters who lost their lives in the attack.

“We were very disappointed that we failed to hold a ceremony to respect the souls of our protesters,” Ms Sochua said

City Hall spokesman Met Measpkheakdey said the lawmakers were blocked from making it to the stupa because it is a public area and order must be maintained.

“We want to verify that City Hall has not banned political parties or the public from having ceremonies, but it is Pchum Ben and such ceremonies belong at a pagoda,” he said.

Previous Article

Cambodia takes a double hit from US

Next Article

Factories get environment checks