The deputy chief of the Poipet International Checkpoint has withdrawn his civil lawsuit against his former colleague, Chhean Pisith, who allegedly tried to kill him in April and became infamous last year over a separate incident.
Sem Makara, deputy chief of Poipet International Checkpoint, withdrew the lawsuit on Friday, saying that the April incident, which saw Mr Pisith fire his gun at him during an argument, was of little consequence.
Mr Pisith shot to fame last year when he flopped to the ground after faking being hit by a stationary vehicle being driven by a union official.
The incident led to wide social media ridicule of Mr Pisith, also a deputy chief of the Poipet checkpoint at the time.
After the shooting incident in April, Interior Minister Sar Kheng fired Mr Pisith, stripping him of his rank and salary. Mr Pisith is believed to have fled the country after the shooting incident as the Banteay Meanchey provincial court issued summonses.
Mr Makara could not be reached for comment yesterday. But in his letter to the court withdrawing his lawsuit, he said he and Mr Pisith were like family and because he was not seriously injured, he wanted to withdraw his lawsuit seeking compensation.
Banteay Meanchey provincial court spokesman Sok Keobandith said the criminal case against Mr Piseth would remain open nonetheless due to the nature of the crime, which saw a bullet ricochet off of Mr Makara’s epaulet.
“The court will still take action against him because the prosecutor’s case remains open and we will implement the law,” he said.